Sunday, May 22, 2011

Two "old house" stories (2 of 2)



Here's that same path today, excavated from an untended jungle of brambles and wild honeysuckle.





We're back to the 1920s in this shot of the center of the Flagler garden. One wonders how many gardeners were employed here, not just to maintain, but to design this horticultural tour de force.




The same view today.





This side of the house overlooked the lawn terrace where the hunt met in the image in the prior post. See those steps? A hound is sitting on one of them in the hunt photo. The photographer who took this shot had his back to the distant view of the Catskills. Edgewood's original section, built for Frederick Jones in the 1890s, is clearly discernible on the right; the first addition, dating from Harry Flagler's purchase in 1903, is readily discernible on the left. I like the house this size, more so than after it became so huge.





The same view today. All gone.

2 comments:

  1. How sad. I can't imagine tearing down something like that, despite its awkward appearance after the second round of additions. I love looking at all the beautiful houses on your blog, though! I am such a fan of "big old houses" myself, that I moved to a section of Birmingham (Alabama) just for the surrounding homes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks" hosting wordpress installation,
    I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later domain and hosting
    Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us web development in pakistan
    I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. web hosting in pakistan

    ReplyDelete